Remove A Ex’s Name From Deed

Q: My friend and his girlfriend bought a house in Iowa. What are the steps that need to be taken to remove her from the deed?

A: The document you need to use is called a ‘quit claim deed’. Have the title company that facilitated the closing prepare & assist you in executing & recording the deed – probably for a small fee. In the event both names are on the mortgage (if any) then, the only way to remove the name from that mortgage (which still carries ‘ties’ to the house) would be to re-finance.